Research groups of the division
Wood and Forest products Physics and Mechanics Research Group
This research group consists of two sub groups:
1.1 – Wood Biology and Anatomy
This sub group concentrates on basic research for the better understanding of basic and inherent characteristic and quality of wood and non-wood raw material in order to provide essential and basic data and information for further applied research.
This sub group is equipped with projection microscopes which connect to computerized program for scanning and metering.
1.2 -Wood Physics and Mechanics
Mechanical properties of wood and non-wood based material is studied an evaluated at this sub group operating one Instron universal testing machine model 1186 and also impact bending testing machines as well as other required for the purposes.
- 2- Application of non-destructive test methods (NDT) for determining the mechanical properties of wood and its products.
This group is involved in applied research in the field of wood technology and process development and modification in wood-based material industries such as particleboard, MDF, fiberboard, wood fiber/polymer composites, veneer, plywood, OSB, wood cement board and laminated wood product.
This group is equipped with modern laboratory and pilot plant equipment such as: Pullman drum chipper, Pullman ring flaker, rotary flake dryer, blender, hydraulic press, circular and band saws, and testing and other related equipment.
- Use of cellulose wastes of wood industries and crop in wood composite products
2- Development of wood farming as well as fast-growing species of poplar, eucalyptus, acacia and palonia, along with stems of industrial plants such as hemp and linen for the industries of wood composites
3- Use of appropriate multi-purpose additives in formaldehyde resins to reduce the release of formaldehyde to human environment.
4-Use of recycled plastic in wood plastic composite
5-Modification the mechanical properties of composites using nanoparticles
6- Lighten of wood composites using different methods
7- Investigating the methods of storage the consuming materials especially lignocellulose waste using in wood-based composites products
Due to the lack of people understanding and employment of wood preservation and drying methods, considerable volume of wood is destroyed at various stages of processing and utilization. Thus, implementation of modern methods and system of wood protection is a prerequisite to better utilization of our wood resources in order to provide basic data and methods in this important aspect of wood utilization. This research group has been equipped with pilot plant scale kiln dryer and also wood-impregnation pilot plant.
- 1- Use of nature-friendly materials in order to protect and modify wood and its products
- 2- Study of nature-friendly processes for protecting and modifying wood and its products
This group is concentrated on basic and applied research and process development and modification for pulp & paper industries for better utilization of wood and non-wood plant resources in paper production. This group is also involved in products development and standardization for the Iranian pulp & paper industries. This research group is operating modern laboratory and pilot plant equipped with instruments and devices such as: four cylinder rotating digester, 10 liter circulation digester, atmospheric 8 inch disc refiner, PFI mill, freeness tester, hand sheet maker, sheet press, sheet dryer, complete wood chemistry laboratory, and testing equipment.
- 1- Development of wood farming with fast-growing species of poplar, eucalyptus, acacia and palonia for wood and paper industry in the country
- Use of plastic wastes in offal of paper and paperboard in order to recycle and prevent entry in to the environment
- 3- Use of biorefinery system to produce cellulose products using bagasse
- 4- Using methods to reduce the consumption of formaldehyde in resins used for wood products
- 5- Development of the use of industrial plants such as kenaf and linen in the production of fiber for the pulp and paper industries